Sunday, February 9, 2014

Bedroom Makeover Part 1-Painting

To update the bedroom, we are moving the big girls into the old extra room. This is the before picture. It used to be the office, kinda guest room, kinda junk room which the kids would destroy into mess on a regular basis. So we cleared it out.
Clean and taped. I love Frog Tape, by the way. Months ago in the summer, I was trying to find a project to distract myself from being sad. I took the girls to the paint store, hoping they could finally come up with a compromise. Up until then I had not really decorated their room because one would want "music" and one would want "space" themes. Or other equally impossible ideas. So after all my talk and a long time, we came out with....a bucket of blue and a bucket of hot pink. But hey, you are only young once. Then I got pregnant and felt so sick for months. I finally had my energy back and some ambition to get this done. The trick was to figure out how to mix both colors. I decided on a chevron accent wall. Normally I avoid trends, but I figured once chevron is out, we can call it the ZigZag wall. Then I painted 3 walls blue.
I had read a bunch of tutorials on how to do chevron. If I was going to do it, I wanted it right. So I did the math to get the stripes to hit at the edges of the wall and be as zigzaggy as we wanted. Also to be the right size. This size made it easy to use a regular roller.
This is my scale drawing, inches to millimeters of the wall, I then decided I wanted one more point and recalculated.
Then we drew points on the wall going down and used a level to connect them. After that used the laser level to mark the horizontal points. All were marked with sidewalk chalk.
Then we joined the points with tape, making sure to keep the tape on the inside or outside of the area we wanted the stripe. The little scraps show where we do NOT want to paint. It looks weird but it is correct.
Then we trimmed the points with an exacto.
A trick is to then go over the tape with the background color. If there is any leakage under the tape, it will match! and it seals it up nicely. Totally worth the little bit of extra time.
Then two coats of the pink. I probably needed one more to cover, but after days of painting, climbing and crouching with this belly, I was done. It was Saturday night and I was ready to clean it up. Taking off the tape was so fun, and it turned out really awesome. It is all in the prep. I am really happy with our result.

The finished wall, the other two (window and closet) are blue and the other side is pink. Coming next will be getting everything moved, new bunks built, and final touches. I think it will be a nice place for them.

No comments: