Blame it on my Gran. She is turning 100 in September. She taught me so many things. One that has lasted through time is the necessity of the thank you card. I can remember every Christmas, after the present opening had been done and the candy eaten, there we were at the table writing our cards from the list mom had taken. I have tried to keep it up, even though I am not perfect. I just think there is something about getting an actual card from someone that shows you care. Old-fashioned maybe, but so it is.
When we went to pick up my mom from the airport in Cortez, which is an hour away and near the closest WalMart, I went down the card aisle and saw the cutest box of pink, sparkly cards. My baby was due in one week, and I knew I would want to thank those who gave us anything for her. I was happy I had remebered, since I was out of cards at home. So I was ready to go.
As I mentioned on FaceBook, but for those who didn't see. I now write these cards with a heavier heart.I did not intend to write about flowers, meals, sympathy. It was supposed to be outfits, toys, happy baby things. I can only write on my "good" days. So many people have served us and thought of us. It has truly been amazing and has lifted all of our spirits. I am so grateful that people care enough to do something when sad things happen. I have been humbled and realized that I could have done more for others in the past. But I was ignorant at the time. Now that I have begun this journey of grief, I hope to better understand and support those who walk this path behind me. For those of you who have loved us, served us, prayed for us, I cannot thank all of you enough. I do not have enough little cards to send one to all who have sent us words of sympathy. But if you read this, know how much it means to us and how much it helped. And with everything being said about cards, know that a text, a comment on facebook, a hug, a call, a silent prayer we don't even know about, all of it is equally as valuable to us. Although death is uncomfortable to many people, and many people do not know what to say, the most important and simple thing to do is to let the grieving person know you care, that you are sorry, and that you love them. That is all, and we have been so blessed to have so many people who have expressed those things to us. We love you all back. And we THANK YOU.
No comments:
Post a Comment